Villa Madonna Academy Leads State in Triple Threat Athletes!
The Kentucky High School Athletic Association created a new award to recognize athletes who participate in fall, winter, and spring varsity sports at their high schools. It is part of KHSAA's efforts to de-emphasize sports specialization. Villa had the highest number of Triple Threat athletes in the state of Kentucky!
Congratulations to Brooke Meier, Ainsley Marlette, and Kristin Cirulli! Brooke will play softball at Mount Saint Joseph University next year; Ainsley will swim at Transylvania University; and Kristin will swim at Smith College.
Congratulations to the 3rd grade boys' basketball team! The team came in 2nd place out of 14 teams in the St. Joe's Holiday Classic. We are #VILLAPROUD of all of their achievements this year.
2018-2019 Year in Review
- 3 NKAC Conference Championships (B/G Track, Softball)
- 2 NKAC Players of the Year in VB, Swimming
- NKAC Division III Most Outstanding Baseball & Softball Players
- We hosted our first every Archery meet with over 450 archers.
- We also hosted a 40+ team track meet that raised thousands for cancer research.
- Our swimmers set PRs seemingly at every meet with one swimmer qualifying for state.
- We had multiple members of All-Conference teams, multiple Enquirer All-Stars for their specific sport and Enquirer Playersof the Week nominations, a Penn Station Athlete of the Month, and a LaRosa's Athlete of the Week.
- Two basketball players reached 1,000 career points, one from each team
- 3 students sign Letters of Intent to participate in college athletics (2 swimmers, 1 softball)
Vikings of the Year
In the 2018-2019, Villa started a new tradition of honoring two outstanding athletes for their work that year. The coaches voted based on the following criteria: senior or junior, one or more sport played this year, solid academic standing, outstanding leadership qualities to teammates of all ages and opponents, promotion of sportsmanship and Benedictine values to all, player is coachable, and overall athletic achievement/performance.
The female Viking of the Year was a 3-sport star, who started in those three sports for at least 4 years. She racked up several All-Conference nominations and NKAC POY. But outside of her performance, this student has always led by example. She was not one to yell at her teammates, but rather pick them up, and step up her play to make everyone around them better. She was been a captain on all three of the teams she’s played on, and she left a lasting mark on Villa Athletics in her time here. Our first-ever, Female Viking of the Year, is Miss Anna Wagner '19.
Male Viking of the Year. This young man was a 2-sport star that picked up a new sport for the first time this year. He was named to the All-Conference team on multiple occasions and other awards. An intense competitor, whenever he adjusted his goggles on the court, you knew the other team was in trouble. He was an incredible student, a great leader and teammate to all, and we know he will go on to do great things. Our Male Viking of the Year, is Mr. Ben Zalla '19.